Thread: Waste.
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I respectfully disagree, a ton. LeBron's legacy will never fade. He's an All-Time great right now.

And really, the purchase offends you!? Are you kidding me?! Oh, I'm sorry they didn't ask you first for your thoughts and what cards you wanted. Lol smh
Yes, it most certainly does and it should trouble each and every knowledgeable collector out there! Perhaps you are unaware of how appraisals are made to ascertain a reasonable value for both real and tangible property (as an attorney, I've certainly had abundant exposure to the process): they compare sales of similar property, and make the necessary adjustments that are called for. Certainly you wouldn't suggest, Brent, that the $312,000 LeBron card is or will be even remotely comparable in long term value to such cards as the 1910 T210 Joe Jackson currently being auctioned in Steve Verkman's Clean Sweep Auctions (it was at $108,000 as of yesterday, including buyer's premium), the Buttercream Ruth, the 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth at the level it was at just 8-9 years ago (when an example graded "poor" went for $152,000, only to resell just six years later at $450,000+, Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb Tobacco back, etc., etc. Having studiously collected for more than a quarter century, I certainly wouldn't, and I highly doubt other experienced collectors would either. While many would believe the self-proclaimed "king" to be among the all-time greats (and I would completely concur, but having devotedly watched NBA action for decades like Peter, having seen Russell, Chamberlain and Jabbar, as well as Magic Johnson and Larry Bird in their primes, and having had Pistons' seasons tickets for many years, what I have seen inevitably leads me to the conclusion that those I have listed were purely and simply better. LeBron compares more favorably to all-time greats such as Oscar Robertson and Jerry West than he does to the others), I seriously doubt that any knowledgeable collector in his right mind would "appraise" the sale value of the LeBron Card as being reasonable by way of comparison to those cards mentioned above.

As I stated, while I certainly don't pretend to dictate to others the manner in which they may waste their money, I don't think the particular verb chosen is anything other than completely appropriate. Some things are matters of opinion, others are of fact--evidence, knowledge and analytical ability are often determinative as to which is which. So, who's kidding who?

Best regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-04-2016 at 05:37 PM.