Thread: Waste.
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Different IMO. At the time none of those cards, though scarce by design, were worth anything. They weren't short printed to create artificially valuable collectibles.
I don't believe the reason the LeBron was created was to create artificial value. I believe it was created to sell packs, boxes and cases. The exact reason the others were made. I believe they are one and the same. Would I buy the LeBron card - if I could afford it? Probably not. Would I consider the others I mentioned, maybe, but not a 100% lock. The value of scrap cardboard is about 160 bucks (+/-) and anything more than that, there is no guarantee on investment recapture. So the question, in my mind, could I get 6 figure enjoyment from pride of ownership from any of these? My answer would be no on all except Lajoie. Then bring in the possibility of appreciation as a novelty collectible same question... would I buy for investment? Possible on the older stuff, IMO too risky on the newer LeBron. So, in my mind I would probably only purchase 1 of these and that would be Lajoie. But I feel the production was created with the same exact marketing mindset on each and everyone. The reason I would likely buy the Lajoie would have to do with the colored insert pages in the first sport Americana annual. I used to look at that Lajoie and drool. So my desire is also a form of marketing that was done by the producers of the price guide. Like everything that we may covet, there is something, somewhere manipulating our desires. There will always be informationprovid4d to create perceived value on items. Otherwise, Don Mossi and Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth would all be valued the same.

And to get back to the point of this post, I firmly believe that each of these examples were created for exactly the same reason in each case. To increase sales and build customer base.