View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Default 1930 Univ. Chicago Football Toy

Nice Cinci book p/u Max

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

13" tall
Picked up this today at an antiques fair.. c1930 Univ Chicago Wooden Football Player Toy by Sturdy Mfg. Co. Sturgis Michigan...never seen or heard of it before today...has the 1930 game roster on the back...must have been sold at the stadium as a souvenir...The stick on the back isn't original....you sort of twist the stick back and forth to make it walk...Antique sports toys are remarkably few...In relation to the amount of non sport toys produced....it'll go good in my sports toy collection

Amos Alonzo Stagg would have been coach then and I believe they were a power house in that era (Chicago from 1892 to 1932)....

I remember when I bought Stagg's personal bookends from his son Paul in 1988...he told me they donated most of his dad's memorabilia to the College of the Pacific in Stockton CA. where he last coached seriously...since Univ. of Chicago banished football which he seemed a little indignant about....said his mom saved everything and there whole garage had been full of his dad's memorabilia

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-13-2010 at 12:32 AM.