View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default Pretty Cool Uncatalgued 1939 Card Set (Info appreciated)

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I recently purchased a scrap book that came from outside the hobby where all material inside dated to the 1939 baseball season. Included in the scrapbook were tons of newspaper articles about the players, their wives, and even a whole page article pertaining to the Willard Hershberger suicide. The book included the entire 1939 Chicago Cubs Team Issued set of 25 6"x9" photos. However, the reason I am writing this doesn't have anything to do with these items.

In the book were 7 cards from a set I don't know if I have ever seen before, although the Larry French card looks very familiar to me and I may have seen it somewhere before but can't remember where. I soaked 6 of the 7 cards from the scrap book leaving the Bonura still attached to a portion of the scrap book page. Anyways, the cards are definitively dated to 1939 (the year the scap book dates to) by the inclusion of Bonura with the New York Giants, this was the only year he played with that team.

Anyways, the cards all measure 2-3/8"x3-5/16" and are in an array of beautiful colors with the backs being blank. If anybody has anymore information on these items or has additional items from this set I would love to hear about them. Again, for some reason I seem to remember possibly having seen the French before but can't be 100% sure.

-Rhett
rhettyeakley@netzero.com

The Zeke Bonura (still attached to portion of scrap book page)...

The French Card...

The rest of the bunch...