View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 03:27 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Bucketfoot Al Simmons

Player #162: Aloysius H "Al" Simmons, born Alois Szymanski. "Bucketfoot Al". Outfielder with the Washington Senators in 1937-1938. 2,927 hits and 307 home runs in 20 MLB seasons. 3-time All-Star. 1929 and 1930 World Series champion. 2-time AL batting champion. 1929 AL RBI leader. 1953 inducted to the MLB Hall of Fame. He debuted with the Philadelphia Athletics in 1924-1932, 1940-1941, and 1944. In addition to Philadelphia, he played for 6 other MLB teams. His career OBP was .380. His best season may have been 1930 as he posted a .423 OBP with 152 runs scored and 165 RBIs in 611 plate appearances. In 1938 he was the first Washington Senator to hit 20 or more home runs in a season.

From Simmons' SABR biography: Al Simmons (Aloysius Harry Szymanski) was a premier hitter and left fielder for Connie Mack’s formidable Philadelphia Athletics from 1924 to 1932 and subsequently for other major-league clubs through 1944.

Simmons’ powerful hitting was achieved despite his unusual batting stance. A right-handed hitter and thrower, Simmons stood at the plate with his left (front) foot pointed toward third base, “in the bucket” in baseball parlance. Accordingly, he gained the nickname Bucketfoot Al, which he resented. Theoretically, he should have had difficulty in hitting outside pitches solidly. But Simmons overcame this apparent weakness by using an unusually long bat and moving his left foot closer to home plate with the approach of an outside pitch. As Simmons explained, “I’ve studied movies of myself batting. Although my left foot stabbed out toward third base, the rest of me, from the belt up, especially my wrists, arms, and shoulders, was swinging in a proper line over the plate.”

Simmons had a lifetime batting average of .334 with 2,927 base hits (including 539 doubles) and 1,828 RBIs. Despite his induction into the Hall of Fame in 1953, Simmons is not rated by all baseball experts as highly as his gaudy statistics would suggest. Bill James did rate him seventh among left fielders based upon his 375 Win Shares. But in the Seventh Edition of Total Baseball, possibly through inadvertence, Simmons was not rated among the top 100 all-time players.

Well-respected catcher and baseball observer Ralph “Cy” Perkins summed up Simmons when he spoke at Al’s Hall of Fame induction: “He had that swagger of confidence, of defiance, when he came up as a kid. He was as sensational as a rookie as he was as a star. I’ve always classed him next to Ty Cobb (Simmons’s idol) as the greatest player I ever saw. … He was what I would call the ‘perfect player’.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937 Ted Simmons Photograph.jpg (102.8 KB, 92 views)