View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Default OT-Does it pay for Clemens to take the 5th?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Seems to me that Mr. Clemens has made some unfortunate decisions in this matter; that he's not followed advice of counsel as to what to do but maybe advice as to how to go about an ill-advised course selected by Clemens himself.

http://tinyurl.com/2vhbjb>
a link to the NY Times bit about Clemens appearance.

I think that the 13 colonies had governments... States. The States were here first. They united together to form a Union with limited powers. Those powers are set out in the Constitution, a power limiting document. It doesn't give us rights, as is taught in school. What it does is limit the power of the Federal Government. (Read it, it doesn't say we have 'freedom of speech', what it says is that 'Congress shall not abridge our freedom of speech', it limits what the Feds can do.)

The Feds and Congress get to represent the States in a United front in international affairs, maintain a navy, raise an army when necessary, regulate commerce between the States, deal with wars.... about everything else is reserved to the States. I think Congress has absolutely NO BUSINESS holding hearings on baseball or steroids in baseball. I think it is an abuse of power. I'd like to see Clemens keep quiet, then sue their socks off and win. And I'd like to see this whole mess keep him out of the Hall. 'Cause it seems obvious that he was way more involved in this mess than he is willing to admit. Still, it is not any of Congress' business. Let them focus on Afghanistan, on getting out of Iraq, on fixing the economy and social security. And let them stay out of baseball.

Maybe I should be glad they're fooling with it. I asked a wise Libertarian friend of mine what he thought about Congress trying Clinton's impeachment. (I thought it was crap that the first thing they did was agree to accept everything by way of affidavit, meaning there would be no witnesses testifying, not trial as we perceive one.) My friend said he was glad that Congress was trying Clinton. I asked if he hoped for a conviction. He replied that he cared not about a conviction, but hoped it lasted at least 7 months. I asked why???? He said, "Because while they try Clinton they won't be passing any laws." I liked that.... Today, if Congress focuses on baseball hearings, at least they won't screw anything else up!!!