View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default SHOELESSJIM & Vintage Investment ebay situation

Posted By: Bob C

When I sell on EBay, I charge a flat fee of $5.00 for S&H regardless of final value of item won. In addition I add the ACTUAL COST of USPS postal insurance based upon final value of item won. If the same buyer wins additional auctions the S&H fee does not increase; it remains $5.00 – no multiple “hits” for multiple wins. I clearly state this in my auction instructions.

I break it down like this:

-8-1/2” X 11” padded plastic mailer $0.75

-Bubble Wrap/Tape/Staples/Sharpie/Cardboard (I sometimes recycle the bubble wrap)$0.45

-Pre-printed, VFW return address label for which I pay a donation (I am a Vet)$0.05

-Actual USPS First Class postage (varies by weight) but usually around $1.35

-Gasoline to and from the Post Office, say 10 Miles R/T @ $4.25 Gallon,18 MPG (OK I drive a gas guzzler) = $2.40. No charge for depreciation/wear and tear/maintenance

-My time to and from the Post Office and the maddening indeterminate wait suffered while I watch under-staffed unionized postal workers work at a pace I can only equate to underwater Tai Chi. (OK here comes the bash from all of the unionized postal workers)= NO CHARGE

Five bucks, and with all due respect, I make no apologies for it. Further I may have to increase the S&H if fuel continues its upward spiral.