View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default About soaking cards

Posted By: dan mckee

My Mantle received a 2. It has a hefty crease. Back when it was still a hobby, before all of the investors entered, soaking was popular to remove scrapbook paper or straighten a corner or to flatten a warped card. If you will notice, the cards I have soaked over the years are still in my collection. I soak stuff that I keep to enhance the physical appearance as mentioned above. It didn't matter back then as people collected and didn't invest. Yes my cards will be sold one day, I may not be around to see it but I do not consider them doctored by plain water. My entire 1962 and 1971 sets were soaked while in the plastic sheets and binders! We had a basement flood and those 2 sets were at the bottom of the cabinet! NOT FUN! Luckily I had a lot of good friends and family members, about 12 of us stayed up through the night, pulling the cards, patting them dry, and placing them between some type of weight. The 62 set was completely saved, the 71 set lost about 15 cards while pulling them out of the pages, a few of the black borders decided to stay behind with plastic sheet. Good Bye guys and Gals.

Edited because I need to stay off of this board.