View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default question for the board regulars

Posted By: Brett Hardeman

Hello,

I am Brett Hardeman from Old Cardboard Magazine, and I was alerted to this post with questions about our eBay Sellers List so I thought I would post. Before we launched the Magazine we aimed for our website to be a free, one-stop for information on old baseball cards, and we thought about publishing a list of sellers; sort of a who's who selling on eBay (it's been up for about 5 years now). It is rough and a labor-intensive collection process involving going out to eBay and looking for folks selling vintage (we classify as 50 years old and older) baseball cards and finding out who they are, inputting their eBay sales data, feedback rating, how much stuff they sell is truly vintage, if they accept CC/Paypal or not, and a link to their auction on eBay.

Just for reference the list is located at: http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/ebay-sellers/ebay-sellers.asp

...and has been updated as of today (April 2).

Now let's here mention: since the list is labor intensive and somewhat subjective (we have to calculate how much vintage material each person sells as best we can) it should be noted that we may miss a SellerID. If you know of a seller that should possibly belong on the list and is not, please email me their SellerID so we can research and add their information. We currently track sales data for about 250 sellers, but limit the list to the top 50 just to keep it manageable and interesting to buyers.

For calculation we take a Seller's sale transactions (not total transactions) and multiply by the percentage of vintage baseball cards they sell. For instance:

Darby-s
4,724 sales transactions, (x) appx. 50% vintage cards = 2362* rating.

*This puts Darby-s at #34 on our list of 50.
We go just a little bit further and offer CC accept/info, ebay rating, and a link to stuff for sale by Darby-s on eBay.

We do not get any direct fed data from eBay so it is again important to note that we keep up the list as best we can.

Hopefully this helps explain the list a little, but if you have any questions feel free to send us an email and we'd be happy to explain a little further. If you or someone you know should be on the list, please email and let us know their eBay ID so we can add them.

Thanks,
Brett Hardeman
brett@oldcardboard.com