View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
iggyman

Great photo....my guess is circa 1940's.

Now, what's your guess.......

What record did brothers Harry and Stan Coveleski make BB history with ?

TED Z
Ted,

I browse my copy of "Glory Of Their Times" but couldn't find the answer. After further research (google search), I've solve the puzzle................first siblings to win 20 games in a season. I have no idea on the date of the pinball machine, but Harry died in 1950. The photo was taken inside a bar and as any G-man will tell you, prohibition ended in 1933, so your circa 1940's date is probably accurate.

On a side note, in 1908 Harry went 4 and 1 with three of those wins coming against the Giants (all of them starts and all in September, during the exciting 1908 pennant race). So what is the big deal you ask, well I'll quote Glory Of Their Times; "Most people think it was Merkle lost the 1908 pennant for the Giants, Well, they're wrong. It was Harry Covelski. He was just a rookie, but he beat the Giants three times in the last week of the season. Pitched every other day for a week, and beat them three in a row. That was after the Merkle business and that's what lost the pennant for McGraw that year. The Giants would have won the championship if they'd beat Harry even one of those three games."

Lovely Day...