View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 05:50 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post
Picked up this Phillies pennant. I'm unsure of its year but I suspect it is from 1943 because the Phillies logo resembles one used on a 1943 scorecard. It's not an exact match but it's close and that scorecard logo only appeared that year. New ownership switched to the Phillies Blue Jays in 1944 then settled on a shorter-looking wordmark in the 1950's and '60's.
First: awesome pennant! I am exclusively a pennant collector in the heart of Phillies country, and I've never seen this before. (So if you ever want to trade/sell …. )

Now when I saw this the first pennant that came to mind was this one from the 1969 Trench series … the city name is not a perfect match in font but very, very close, about as close as "Phillies" is to that in the yearbook. Obviously yours is older.

But I'm gonna take an educated guess though and say early-mid 60s. Looks a lot like a Keezer pennant, by the style of tassels. There are two other Keezer Phillies from earlier years, though … if this is a third that would be unusual. Now it's hard to see in the picture, but the white strip … is there only one row/line of stitching, as opposed to two? If it's just one down the middle, as it appears, then I will definitely say early-mid 60s, as I have a couple similar pennants with that rare stitch pattern and one of them is an LA Angels pennant. This is rare in that you're supposed to be able to slide a dowel inside that strip, but for these pennant the stitching makes it impossible. I'll have to dig it up …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3647 (1).jpg (56.2 KB, 376 views)