View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Mike Kendall

I have collected pins for many years and would have to say my favorite is the “crossed bats” design. Apparently no one knows who manufactured them, but they were readily available at ballparks in the 1940s through at least the early 1970s. Originally they were all 1.25 inches in diameter, then a larger 1.75 inch version came along. It is impossible to compile a complete checklist of these pins and there are variations of certain ones making that task even more difficult. When I say “crossed bats” I am including those which lack the bats, but instead have a team mascot or symbol, or a significant event such as World Champ in its place. One of the things that make these pins so special is how they covered all of baseball. In addition to major league teams, they also offered minor league and Negro League teams. This of course adds to the challenge of finding them all. For me, there is nothing better than finding one of these pins that I have never seen before. While many of these pins are very common, some are incredibly scarce. Here are some which I have found to be very difficult to find. The Los Angeles Dodgers NL Champs pin is extremely common in blue, but almost impossible to find in red. Maybe Dodger fans were turned off since it wasn’t Dodger blue. I would love to see some other tough versions of these pins by you pin collectors out there. I would really love to see one I have never seen before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA4ECFEF-D0B3-40C5-B0E6-2974B11F3E44.jpg (20.1 KB, 511 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown