View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
"sorry to revive an old thread"? I love that you revived it! I can't hang with those 5 figure card guys!

re: your questions...
  • I call them the "black square series" due to the text box.
  • unknown.
  • The Giants had 12 players but we hadn't seen McCovey until just recently.
  • unknown.
  • unknown.
  • Based on the Giants in the set, I've always thought 1972-73.
  • Mine are all easel backed.

I'm not sure I knew other teams were in this series....I tend to live in my own little Giants world ...I've always liked these too and would love to see more! Sorry for my crappy picture. The Tom Bradley (lower right) isn't due to me....he is ALWAYS in heavy shadow.
Rob, Mike and Mark,
Here is my contribution to this interesting topic:
For many years I have owned this "black square" pinback of Nolan Ryan in my collection. This is a very challenging pin to find as I have not seen/ heard of many in the hobby, even amongst fellow Nolan Ryan advanced collectors.

I always guessed its vintage to be around 1974, but I can certainly believe that it could be 1973 based on the road grey uniform style that Nolan is wearing. It cannot be from 1972 because of the "A" on Nolan's Angels jersey being a capital "A" and not the lower case "a" which were used in 1972.

My Ryan pinback does not have an easel on the back, or at least mine did not have one when I purchased it second hand in the 1980's.

Finally, this pinback was definitely photographed somewhere other than So Cal. Nolan is wearing a road grey uniform and features the shaded face ala Rob's Tom Bradley SF pinback. I don't recognize the stadium in the background. Does anyone recognize where this photo may have been shot?

One of my close friends and I, which both attended many Angels games during the early to mid 1970's in Anaheim, do not recognize this pinback as one that was sold at Anaheim Stadium, so these likely were not a stadium pin.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan 1973 black box pinback button front.jpg (77.6 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan 1973 black box pinback button back.jpg (27.4 KB, 538 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-14-2014 at 04:00 AM.