View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Thank you for the informative article from scd
I only have one M114, Ashburn, which I have seen referenced as 1948. I am not a rookie collector, just Ashburn, but the 1948 date would make it a rookie. Is that date correct?
Also, I have another Ashburn premium that is from Baseball Monthly. Is it totally separate from the M114 or a variation? Thank you
Poor images are attached and I realize the M114 is in poor condition.
Welcome to the conversation.

Baseball Monthly supplements are cataloged as m118. They are a separate supplement, with 88 players listed in the catalog, but there were actually 89 players issued (Bob Feller isn't listed in the catalog). At the moment, I am still looking for Rocky Colavito, Elston Howard, and Roger Maris to complete my set.

There are two variations of the Ashburn, one with New York noted on both sides of the text, and the other with New York only noted on the left side.

Also, you note that your m114 of Ashburn is in poor condition, but sometimes the only way to find them is in poor condition. I'm of the opinion that having one in poor condition is better than not having one. Other portions of the hobby have a similar thought process, like there is that guy in Arizona who bought that really famous / expensive card even though it is trimmed and misgraded.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-10-2017 at 11:32 AM.