View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Default Talkin' BB with our heroes....tell us of your experiences ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Your experience with Tommy Henrich is very similar to mine. About 10 years ago he was the guest at a NJ BB
card show. After the show Tommy mingled with some of us dealers. Tommy and I talked for about a 1/2 hour.
I had to ask him about the events of the 1941 World Series.

Tommy was called "Old Reliable" by his teammates because he was one of the game's best clutch hitters.
Ironically, one of his most famous "clutch" moments at bat was "striking out" in the 4th game of the 1941 World
Series vs the Dodgers.

Dig this scenario......
Tommy was at bat with 2 outs and a 3-2 count on him in the 9th inning with Brooklyn ahead 4-3. Hugh Casey
pitches a dipping curve ball to Mickey Owen......Tommy swings and misses it, but so does Owen in catching it.
Tommy ends up at 1st base; subsequently, DiMaggio, Keller, and Joe Gordon rally the Yankees to a 7-4 victory.
And , go on to win this World Series.

This set the stage, arguably, for the greatest October rivalry Baseball has ever known. The NY Yankees and
Brooklyn Dodgers were to compete again for the World Championship crown in 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955,
and 1956. I have seen all 6 of these World Series; and, in my opinion, they were the greatest I've ever seen.

We had a great conversation, reminiscing over the "good ole days". I found it quite amazing how clearly he
recalled the events of that day in October 1941. He alluded to the fact that it wasn't all Mickey Owen's
fault....and, that Owen was expecting to see a fast ball....but, Hugh Casey threw him a curve that fooled
both Owen and Tommy.

Tommy, at age 96, is now the oldest living Yankee.

[linked image]

[linked image]

TED Z