View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default Talkin' BB with our heroes....tell us of your experiences ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Some of you have heard this before....but, for many of you that haven't....I'd like to share it with you.

Growing up in Hillside, NJ (1945-1960), I was lucky to live only 2 blocks away from Phil Rizzuto. Monday
nights (usually an off day for the Yankees) Phil would visit us kids at the Catholic Youth Organization
at St. Catherine's Church school. Many of us kids would gather around Phil, as he held court with us.

In the Spring of 1954, Phil bought a Nash Metropolitan (2-seater) car. It was a "cuddly" little vehicle
that initially was the subject of ridicule. We always knew when Phil was on his way to Yankee Stadium,
for when he came down our street his little car had a distinct engine roar (similar to a lawn mower).

Now we advance time to early April 1984....Newark (NJ) Airport. I get into the line at the United ticket
counter. And, Phil is in front of me.

ME......Phil do you still have your little Nash Metropolitan ?
PHIL....(he started laughing) No, no, but I wish I did. It was the most economical car that I ever had.

ME......Where are you heading ?
PHIL....Chicago....Comiskey to do the game.
ME......Me too, to Aurora (IL) to the Western Electric plant.

We go to the Terminal lounge and Phil buys us several coffees. We were there talkin' Baseball and rem-
iniscing about the old neighborhood for 2 hours (due to a snow delay at Newark).

We boarded the plane. Phil goes to 1st class and I'm in "back class". Phil came to the back of the plane
and invited me to be with him in 1st class. The next 2 hours on our flight to O'Hare, Phil and I "covered
all the bases" from Joe DiMaggio to Yogi Berra to Reggie Jackson to Donald Mattingly.

The most interesting part of our conversation centered on the 1949-1953 seasons. He related to me of
many events and insight into the ballplayers that made those 5 seasons so successful for the Yankees.

GOD Bless the "Scooter".

TED Z