View Single Post
Old 06-26-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
Believe you are correct on GU hockey and photo matching - and GU hockey seems to just be on fire the last few years….vintage GU Jerseys sell for a premium and I am regularly contacted by dealers and collectors to see if I want to sell anything…..getting tougher and tougher to find the good vintage stuff..

Relative to GUU, I am honored to have been involved with Chris Cavalier, Mike Specht, Rob Steinmetz, etc when I was a contributing bat expert for GUU…we attended several Nationals together….we helped so many people in the GU arena and provided clarity to what was legit - what matched factory records - what an index bat was - what was considered game use - number attributes - player attributes….on and on and on…..

The major dealers, authenticators and auction houses could not slide junk through like they could before….not calling anyone out - just saying a lot of suspect items came up in auction where our analysis had many items pulled, or had the description changed because of our work…..very proud of that….

Miss the old GUU - glad to see the positive thoughts and comments here in this thread….
Yep. Hockey collectors were photomatching and using that term specifically for a while before GUU existed. For the past 15 or 20 years I'd guess, NHL teams have done a great (depending on how you look at it) job of washing various marks out of their jerseys, and players are issued more jerseys per season, but previously jerseys that would make their way into the hobby would often have a lot of repairs and other identifying marks that would make them particularly photomatchable. Vintage game worn hockey jerseys, particularly those that are "hammered" with lot of visible signs of use, are in great demand.