View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default r.i.p. Gordon Banks

It is with some sadness that I heard the news that England World Cup winner and goalkeeping legend, Gordon Banks has passed.

I had the great fortune of seeing him play during his time in the NASL with Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

Years later I got to meet and interview him. He was very bit of class as a human as he was an extraordinary netminder.

A short while ago I purchased this 1968 card of Gordon. It's not in mint condition, clearly visible pin holes on the top and bottom. But what struck me was that someone, that I know nothing about, put this on his wall back in the 1960's. He idolized Banks, like me, like many.

Card collecting used to be about admiration, education and trading. I can only imagine in some schoolyard, that Gordon was swapped for maybe a Bobby Moore or a Bobby Charlton or a Billy Brenner.

This card will remain in my collection as a becon to childhood and the fun of playing, following our dreams and card collections world wide.

IMG-20190212-101007
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469

Last edited by Copa7; 02-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.