View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Bob Beck

Barry-nice to hear from you also. I have thought about this question for a few years now. My store is still relatively solid but I slowly see the handwriting on the wall. My customer base is now 80% adults and 20% kids. 5-10 years ago the percentages were the exact opposite. I have always dealt heavily in vintage because that is what I love but have always had a nice selection of the current era. As you stated, everything is changing and I can witness it first hand in the store. Their will always be collectors of coins, cards etc.. and I am not really referring quite as much to the 25-35 age group (they grew up with a more positive collecting atmosphere) as I am sure they will pick up some of the slack. I am in my 40's(the later half) and will always collect as long as I am capable of doing so. I am really referring to the 10-20 year old age group, who are growing up with virtually no interest in cards plus a tainted era of baseball. I do not have a crystal ball and maybe they will gravitate towards collecting vintage cards in their adult years, trends do change, but my gut does not see that happening. With the slow demise of card stores and shows, collecting will become more impersonal through the computer and auction houses, which I personally perceive as another negative. Back in 1976 I purchased my 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth with my dad at my side for $35 at the hotel Roosevelt in NYC. We could not believe we had spent that much on a card and it is memory with my dad I will always cherish. A few weeks back a young boy around age 13 purchased a Ted Williams card (over a t205 Joe Tinker) with his dad at my store and I told them my story. It was a really nice moment that still does happen but it is a true rarity. Again, the best of the best and the true legends will always be collected, I just think it will be tougher for today's kids to overcome their childhood collecting apathy and gulp down all the vintage we have cherished.