View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Jim VB

Default Who will be the buyer of our vintage cards in 20 years?

This is a great question.

The correct answer is: Not individuals, but GROUPS!

That's right. Conglomerates, Associations, Cabals, Corporations, Organizations, Syndicates.

But they won't be looking to buy every card. No, no. Only the elite. The chosen. The select few on their tough want list. The rest, they will look down and spit upon.

Aah, just kidding.

I'd guess that in 20 years, the average collector will look much like he does today. We have plenty of young collectors on this board. And if you go to The National, you see lots of young collectors in attendance. (Albeit, you also see many older collectors who look like they're one more Prime Rib dinner away from a coronary, myself included.)

I think there is a collecting gene in some people. If you have it, you're going to collect something, cards, coins, stamps, toys, antiques, etc. I don't think that will change. Besides, most of us have gone through periods where we took time off from collecting. I collected as a kid. Stopped from age 15-30, and then started up again 20+ years ago. I don't think I can look at my 20 year old son and know if he'll collect when he's 40.