View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlankf View Post
I decided to go with the B18 set, I love these suckers. Very affordable, some teams are easy to complete one of the 2/3 color variations, tougher teams/colors are easy to find but usually overpriced. I am finding patience pays off. Just my opinion and let us know what direction you take.

BTW: Cool display Hank

Craig
Thanks, Craig. I had a beautiful WaJo, then about 20 or so years ago, David Festberg auctioned off his B-18 team sets, stars individually and the rest of the teams as a lot. I got the Washington lot for $160. When I got them, I couldn't believe the condition--all were gem mint and full borders except for one with a small and barely perceptible stain. I called David to thank him and tell him how pleased I was, and he told me that his B-18s were the product of many years of upgrading. Then I started laying them out, and was amazed to see that the nine of them made a perfect diamond with each player in his position. How perfect! So I took them to my framer and had him do them with archival tape like that. I love this piece, and of all the great things I have on my wall, it always draws attention. As I said, B-18s are SOOO underappreciated, also undervalued, but to find really mint ones is a challenge. I guess they were packaged with tobacco and somewhat exposed to it. Also, the cut of the borders can be problematic, finding nice full borders isn't easy, either. This was WaJo's first good team, by the way, and they stayed together for four years, finishing second in the A.L. twice.