View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default Banning people....one more down.....Jay B.

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Unfortunately, given my genuinely high regard for Leon, I have to agree that there appears to be a double standard here. I'm sure if I were Leon, Jay would be on my last nerve, and I really do sympathize. But no one has provided any evidence that Jay was going around making personal threats, attempting to terrorize people, as Dorskind clearly has been doing via email.

Jay was expressing unpopular opinions and refusing to stop, which is the basis of our Bill of Rights. Sure, you can say things like "this isn't a democracy" (some people are suspiciously eager to say this), that "it's X's forum and he can do what he wants" and that "if X doesn't like it, he can go over to his own board" -- but frankly I find these comments disturbing. They do not square with the "it's your forum" position that Leon asserts repeatedly.

Nor, as I recall, was another longtime board member banned when (off his meds or something) he began making personal threats and racist comments to various people in emails--worse than Dorskind, as I remember. This is before the time of many current posters, and I don't want to stir it all up again, but he's still around and to my knowledge, was never banned or penalized in any way. The old folks know what I'm referring to.

It won't be the end of the world for Jay, Leon, or the board if Jay is banned, hopefully temporarily. But I do find it disturbing that the contrarian gets banned for unpopular opinions, while the psychos get slaps on the wrist.

Tim