View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Default Banning people....one more down.....Jay B.

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Just wanted to add a small point of my own to all of this. You know, it sucks when Leon and I receive emails or see posts that read along the lines of “…you know, I’d post a lot more if it wasn’t for all the fighting and bickering…”. I think even Jimmy is saying that to a degree in his post above. This is horrible for us to hear because so many of the people that I’ve heard this from in the past are individuals who have contributed a lot to this board in the past and no longer feel comfortable doing so. I think the community as a whole loses out when people with knowledge and true passion for this hobby no longer are interested in posting their own beliefs, experiences and insight. I see really solid questions asked all the time that are really great questions, yet they fall straight to the second page right away because people with the knowledge or answer to that question no longer feel like contributing. Like Chris was saying in another thread, the “popular” threads on this board always seem to be of the “train wreck variety” where a bunch of fighting breaks out. These are the ones constantly bumped to the top (until they’re locked) and the ones that go over 100 for a post count. How often do you see us breaking the 100-post mark without a huge fight going on inside the thread? Seems to me that it happens very seldom nowadays.

So when it comes down to it, we have certain individuals on the board that are making the forum a less enjoyable experience in general. I have nothing against Jay personally as I’ve always gotten along with him in the past, but at some point, you have to look at what certain individuals are contributing and if their contributions are mainly personal attacks and negativity, then maybe this forum isn’t the best place for that individual. Heck, maybe that person feels the same way since the negativity and complaining has to come from somewhere. I think it might be best to part ways with some of these individuals because I feel people should feel free to come here, post their thoughts and ideas, learn a little bit and enjoy their time spent on our board. If there are a couple individuals who consistantly prevent others from doing that, we need to take a closer look at things. If we need to lose a couple people for the betterment of the entire community as a whole, then I think it’s time we consider doing so. When I hear that people are afraid to post because they fear personal attacks and ridicule, then there’s something wrong with the system. When the number of threads consisting of fighting and personal attacks start to outnumber the number of threads covering solid hobby discussion, then there’s something wrong with the system. I certainly don’t blame Jay for all the fighting that goes on but I am hoping that this sets a precedent for behavior on the board. That maybe we’re a little closer to no longer having to deal with such a large amount of negativity, personal attacks and pessimism on this forum.

Brian McQueen
redmaccie@hotmail.com