View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am knocking on wood when I say this, but I drop in a blue box most mornings on my way to work and over the years less than 1 out of a 1000 mailings have not received an origin scan leaving my local area causing my shipment not to meet eBay's shipping expectations. If I have time during the day or have large boxes going out, I stop at a "contract" (privately run) USPS post office and they scan it. Very friendly folks who allow me to bypass any line, hand them my outgoing and they scan when they are free.

^^^^^ You are playing with fire...I had one card not get a scan dropping it in that unattended blue box. I don't know if a postal employee took the card, the winning bidder got the card and took advantage, or what......all I know is I gave away a card and that damn thing still hasn't received a scan. That was enough for me.
I have been dropping mail like this for the past 15+ years....a handful of lost pieces locally(far fewer than the # lost with a scan after leaving my area), a very small pct not scanned at origin (but scanned upon arrival) are what I have had to deal with in all that time. Trust me when I say, if there was a problem or one develops, I would not continue dropping my mail in a blue box.

Any higher priced items, parcels etc are either dropped off at the contact office and scanned, or I have the mailing picked up by my route carrier and scanned in front of me. However, I will continue to take my chances dropping a 1st class package with tracking containing some $2 card in the blue box as in 15+ years it has not been a problem. I understand shippers in other cities/towns have had different experiences dropping in a blue box, but I, to this point, have not.