Thread: Tobacco packs
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default Tobacco packs

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Richard,

If you are talking about already opened packs that likely contained T206s which have survived through the years then I'm sure the number is much higher that what you've stated. (I wasn't sure if you were talking strictly about unopened packages or not).

I have about 10 or so Piedmont/Sweet Cap boxes myself which have the correct factory and 1909 tax stamp for T-206 distribution that were part of a "find" of cards my father and I came into 30 years ago.

If you don't mind an offshoot question to your original post. I'm curious how one would "fully authenticate" an opened box?

Opened boxes, at least mine, generally have the middle of the tax stamp missing since it has fallen off of the slide shell portion of the box long ago.

Because the middle of the tax stamp is missing, it is impossible to determine if there is/was an overprint date on the stamp or not.

Given the uncertainty of an overprint date, does that throw into question whether or not a particular box had the potential of once housing a T-206 or would the correct brand/factory and 1909 tax stamp be "enough" to give an opened box that potential?