View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default 1863 Jordan & Co

Posted By: Scott Elkins

If I remember correctly, back during the Rookie card craze of the 1980's, for a card to be considered a true rookie, it had to be a "mass produced card available to the general public". So, like in our arguments on this board years back regarding Ty Cobb's rookie, we could debate this one to no end as well. I have to agree with Halleygator - it is NOT BASEBALL - it is CRICKET, and a ticket. However, it is extremely rare and significant, especially with Wright's image on it! This reminds me of the recent post of Lee stating I was using the word rare too much in my auction headings. I may have, but I NEVER tried to pass off a Cricket ticket as the first Baseball card!!!!!!!!!! The fact that 1869 Peck & Snyders were mass produced has ALWAYS been THE MOST IMPORTANT factor in considering this to be the FIRST TRUE Baseball card! There were a few cabinets issued before 1869, but these were not "mass produced" and made available to the general public (and these are more of a Baseball card than a cricket ticket!).

This card SHOULD have been marketed for what it is - a TRULY RARE important piece of history with Wright's image! Afterall, being "first" is not always the most valuable! Would you rather own a Wagner Rookie or a T206 Wagner, which is more valuable??????