View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Cleaning up the "Hobby"

Posted By: steve k

Everyone or anyone can complain all they want to about grading companies. I have no problem with expressing your opinion. Some of these complaints are well justified especially from one of the posters here whose story has been well documented. But the facts are that card grading through reputable companies has made our hobby better. You can "say it ain't so" if wanting to - but it is so. I also collect coins. I remember what the coin and card collecting hobby had become shortly before the advent of grading companies. Counterfeiting, among other problems, had become rampant and out of control. Grading helped to basically "solve" these problems. Don't forget that when we refer to card "grading" this also includes authentication. Authentication in card grading is very close to a science with reputable card graders. As far as autographs and memorabilia, authentication is an art and a very imprecise art at that, if not many times an impossible art.

<<< My organization is dedicated to ensuring, safeguarding and preserving the treasured history and heritage of our National pastime - a game that we simply call baseball. >>>

I do applaud the poster's effort in attempting to do all this. But to me it seems a futile and impossible task to "police" a hobby. Our legal system is already setup to address civil complaints. "The treasured history and heritage of our national pastime" is already taken care of by the Baseball Hall of Fame and other organizations. Certainly though the poster's effort of bringing these situations to our attention is worthwhile and helpful.