View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Default Cleaning up the "Hobby"

Posted By: PASJD

We can all rant and rave about trimmed cards and cards otherwise altered being slabbed (I fully believe the gentleman who posted to that effect), and the ability of certain insiders to get things done that the rest of us can't (same), and the (just my opinion) likely complicity at least to some extent of the grading companies. But how are we ever going to prove it? Unless you saw it done yourself, or someone confesses (about as likely as hell freezing over absent a criminal proceeding where someone might be afraid to commit perjury), "they" always have two fallbacks. One, grading and authentication are subjective, it may looked trimmed to you but not to us; and two, absolute worst case, we made a mistake, we are human, but sincere. Add to this the fact that I believe most people don't care and WANT to believe the illusion of mint 1887 cards that look better now than the day they were made (I submit a slabbed card will ALWAYS sell for near its commodity value even if it is so short it is literally swimming in the holder, and I have seen many of these), and I am pessimistic that the truth will ever be disclosed.