View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Default Cleaning up the "Hobby"

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I am not going to get into this in much detail, as I like my current bidder status with Mastronet just fine (had my bidding "privilieges" revoked when I questioned the authenticity/grading of the PSA 8 T206 Wagner). I believe that grading companies are somewhat good for our Hobby. Afterall, like we discussed on this forum regarding Larry Fritsch (who wants to pay for a certain grade and get a card that is 2-3 grades lower than it was advertised???). However, like with the T206 Wagner (which I will NEVER debate about again BTW), initially, the grading company did the right thing and REJECTED the card. Then they (PSA) were "pursuaded" by the person who was a big name in our Hobby and ran a large auction house to SLAB the card anyway!

Like I tell my friends who collect higher grade cards than I (didn't mention your name this time BTW!), the real reason I LOVE cards graded 3's and 4's is that is how a 90-100 year old card SHOULD look! SURE, there are some that went untouched and remained "lost" for decades and were uncovered in truly NM/MT or better form. However, we all KNOW that there are some HIGH GRADE TRIMMED cards residing in NM/MT and MINT holders. This is really not to be blammed on the grading companies, but rather the HIGHLY INFLUENTIAL person (people) who submitted the cards. These people (not mentioning any names) always not only get a grade or two higher than the rest of us "average Joe's", but can get ALTERED cards slabbed as real and unaltered simply for a PROFIT! THIS IS NOT A LOVE FOR OUR HOBBY - IT IS A LOVE FOR MONEY (AND YOU CAN READ WHAT GOD THINKS ABOUT THAT IN THE HOLY BIBLE!).

I get most of my cards graded. I actually LOVE the idea of a third party stating a card is real and is a cetain grade (especially good when you decide to sell - the buyer can't argue). However, as much as we all here on this board blame the grading companies, maybe we should take a closer look at WHO or WHAT AUCTION HOUSE submitted the cards and was pulling the strings behing the grading!?!?