View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Default I've owned this card for 30 years ...

Posted By: howard

When I was an apartment building handyman one of my co-workers came to work with a big brown book w/a vinyl cover. He was very excited because he said it was worth a lot of money and that he had found it on the street along with the rest of the set (a dozen books or so). How did he know it was worth so much? Each book had "collectors item" embossed on the front.

Another time he came in with a common Mercury dime and a tiny "gold" coin with a date of 1849. Both were in cardboard collectors cases with very high price tags. He bought them off a guy on the street for twenty bucks.

That last time I saw him he said that he was given a painting by an old lady who lived at the building he now works at. He took it to Christie's or Sotheby's and it was told it was by some famous Korean master and eventually sold for half a million. Other people have told me this is true so maybe it is.

Moral of the story: No matter how ridiculous your schemes sound, if you keep at it you might get lucky with the real thing or find a bigger fool than you are.

Howard