View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 09:30 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
For at least the 1000th time on this site, the premium and what you call it are meaningless. I am willing to spend, say, $120 for a card, plus tax and shipping. If it's ebay, where ebay makes its cut from charging the seller a portion of the hammer price, I'll bid $120. If it's an auction house with a 20 percent "buyer's premium," I'll bid $100 and pay $120. It's the same thing. Rob has been fighting this for years, but never explains why, just rants and raves about buyer's premiums as if the buyer is being forced to pay more by the greedy auction house. He isn't. It's purely a matter of allocation between the auction house and the consignor.

The premium could be 30 percent, or 50 percent, or 90 percent. I don't care at all. The consignor is the one who should care, because they're only getting the hammer price.

If someone bidding in an auction in this day and age is so out of it that they don't realize a BP is going to be added to their bid, well, that's their funeral.
I do not understand why so many people have a hard time figuring out all of the fees. Unless the fees are not disclosed, then I have no idea why anyone complains. If you do not like their rules, then do not use that company. Simple as that.