View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Default ??? Trimmed cards

Posted By: T206Collector

"That does it for me! No more PSA 9 T206's in my collection from now on!!"

Collect all the high grade T206 cards you want. But if you think that there are not a statistically significant number of shaved or otherwise trimmed high graded T206 cards sitting in slabs you're just wrong about that.

When I first started posting on this Board three or four years ago, there were countless posts about dealers who used to purchase oversized T206 cards in the 1980's when PSA just started grading cards. The reason? Because you could trim down an oversized T206 cards to the proper dimensions, virtually undetectable.

The information I learned on this board years ago before I began investing thousands of dollars into vintage cards caused me to want to collect hundreds of SGC 40's 50's and 60's, rather than 10 to 20 SGC 80's and higher. Cards with light corner wear, evenly distributed on each of the four corners, give me a tremendous amount of comfort that a card has not been altered so as to fit it into a slab and sell it for thousands of dollars.

When I see a PSA/SGC/GAI 7 or higher T206 card, I can't help but wonder if it is one of those well done hack jobs. That is a concern that I'd rather not have to deal with every time I would hand over thousands of dollars for a high grade Unglaub card.