View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Default Mr. Mint -- Alan Rosen

Posted By: jay behrens

I will give Rosen his due for bringing the spotlight to the hobby in the 80s, but I always dreaded seeing him headed for my table. He constantly lowballed me and expected me to sell my best material for pennies on the dollar. I finally got pissed at him and told him that I'm not his wholesaler and never come back to again. He told me I'd never be able to sell anything for the prices I asked, lol.

My other Rosen story invovled offering him a complete run of 1930s Wheaties that were still complete boxes. He had run ad in SCD saying he was buying Wheaties, so I figured this would be a quick and easy way to flip them for a nice chunk of change. (this was long before I told him I wasn't his wholesaler) He did even bother to look at them. He jsut told that he had already bought all the Wheaties that he need. I was said "What? You have all the Wheaties you need already on complete boxes? This is probably the only complete run Wheaties on boxes in existance." He said, I don't care, I just need the cards, not entire boxes.

I figure his scam was that he bought a huge Wheaties collection on the cheap. Ran an ad in SCD looking to buy, then using those buy prices to justify his sell prices that were about 2-3 times book at the time.

You tell me, who in their right mind would pass up something so unique, other than a dealer that truely is clueless.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.