View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Great writing there, Frank!

I'm sure some slabbed cards out there in both low grades and high grades have been "improved." End of the day, for this collector, it comes down to the old saying, "It's a foolish dog that barks at a flying bird."

If I like a card, I'll buy it, then enjoy it. Nice, happy, and simple. No point in wondering, let alone fretting, over where she was before meeting me She'll never tell me the truth anyway!
No doubt mid and low-grade cards are also doctored. One reason why I recommended collecting lower grade cards is, while a missed ink spot or erasure-mark is calamitous value-wise of a graded 9 or 10 card, its relatively no big deal with that grade Fair T206.

If you've got $20,000 invested in a specific grade (9 versus 8), all this stuff is something to keep you up at night. If it's a low grade T206 common, you'll sleep just fine. I joke that my mom's so cheap that even if something turns out to be a fake she underpaid.

My mom has a large painting on her wall, and after looking up close at it I informed her that it was a reproduction. She said "That's okay. I only paid $3 for it at a garage sale."

Last edited by drcy; 01-20-2018 at 12:10 PM.