View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Personally I would prefer that TPA's simply authentic cards and let the buyer decide what grade the card is to them. Assigning numbers is foolish to me because every collector should be able to determine what a card is worth to themselves without some phony number getting involved. And we've seen time and time again that a card can be "Good" one day, returned for another look, and come out "Very Good" the next despite nothing changing. In that scenario authentic cards that have been trimmed will sell for the same price as high grade cards and I think that price will be closer to what authentic cards sell for now than it would to the PSA 9 price. And cards that are in lower "collector" grades will likely balloon in value under that system.
I understand your sentiment, but if cards were only to be graded as "A", then we are right back to the same old story of cards that look high end but have a hiden flaw that is not disclosed. I got really tired of dealers telling me my cards were junk when I was selling. Only to turn around and then resell them as high end.

I believe grading is extremely valuable for exposing those hard to see flaws. When you see a sharp lower graded card, you know there is something lurking. Now if the flaws of the card were also included on the flip, then maybe just an "A" grade would work. However those flips would need to be pretty big to accommodate that and slabs would increase in size as a result.