View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Bill Gregory

Yes, he did, Peter. In fact, Bobby faced off against Lou Gehrig in the second game he ever played in the Majors, on April 24, 1937 when the Sox hosted the Bronx Bombers at Fenway.

He also played in another game, one where the box score absolutely blows my mind. I've often wondered what Major League game saw the most Hall of Famers? While there may be a game with more players inducted into Cooperstown, I can't see the overall talent level topping the men on the field this day:

April 20, 1939. The Boston Red Sox opened the season at Yankees Stadium taking on the Bronx Bombers. The Hall of Famers that were on the field that day:

Jimmie Foxx
Joe Cronin
Bobby Doerr
Lefty Grove on the mound.
Joe DiMaggio
Lou Gehrig
Bill Dickey
Red Ruffing
Oh yeah, and making his Major League debut, Ted Williams

If I had a DeLorean, I'd go back in time to watch that game. Imagine seeing Foxx, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Williams et all in nine frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I assume nobody is still alive who played against Ruth but I am sure Doerr played against Gehrig.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.