View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Hi Max,

I did some researching and uncovered some early descriptions of the actual book. From what I gather, it does appear that the book may have been distributed without a dust jacket. Take a look at some descriptions in the press:

“As for the book itself, which has been edited by W.W. Aubick, it is to be a handsomely illustrated volume of 300 pages, with the pictures contributed by base ball photographers and Felix Mahoney, who leads the artists league at this sort of play. Matty himself appears on the front cover in his familiar attitude of tearing off a strike on the opposing batsman.”

“Size, full 12mo. 302 pages. Illustrated by Felix Mahoney. Cloth Binding. Gilt back. Price, $1.00 net.”

“Books for Children…five books that were published to sell at $1 to $1.50 and are in the regular editions, bound in cloth; just as good as ever; our price today, each……39 cents.”

The book’s cover is described as having an image of Mathewson pitching, just like the book’s cover in your post. I would assume that, when describing the book (this first quote was released before the book was actually released), the image on the dust jacket would be used to describe its cover. That said, is it possible that the dust jacket and the actual hardcover portion of the book had the same image?

Additionally, the second quoted text references the book having a “gilt back.” This throws me off, though, because there is not gilt on the book’s reverse. Are there any traces of a gilt back on any copies of this book? I would assume that a dust jacket would not be gilded.

This is not much too go off of and doesn’t concretely prove if the book did or did not have a dust jacket, but if it did have a dust jacket, no one seemed to be discussing it.

Best,

Zach