View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I read through the original auction description for the Blue Old Mill but I don't see any mentions of who owned the card or its history prior to arriving at the National.

http://nov12.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=51236
And there was a lot of controversy about it. Would there have been as much if that history was known? Maybe, maybe not.

If the Black Swamp find hadn't been publicized and the cards simply sold off a few at a time, would people believe they were unaltered? Probably not.

I do agree though that for most cards it doesn't matter much. And it may or may not matter much to someone if a card was in a particular collectors collection. To me it would matter a little. Eventually I'd like to pick up one from each hobby pioneer, but I'm not interested enough to pay a huge premium.
In my other hobby, there is a bit of a premium attached to something being from a famous collection, or for some of the major rarities, multiple famous collections.
That can also help identify things that might go unnoticed. I bought an item that was unusual, to the point where there was a list of similar items. To my surprise this one was sort of on the list. Sort of, because it was in a famous collection that was sold off in the 1930's and at the time it was an individual lot in the auction, but not pictured since pictures of it were illegal then. But it matches the description, and there has only been one sold anywhere.
So it's EX- Ackerman, unique, and nobody knows where it's been since the 1930's. I'd probably do pretty well if I sent it to auction, and a little research made the difference between me buying it of not. (Sadly, it's not in the Wagner or even 52 Mantle price range, and much less than even many postwar rookies even though it's unique. )