View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Default Bonds exposed: Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

Posted By: Anson

I'm not going to beat up or support Bonds as both sides have already been laid out. However, I would like to look at one important thing that hasn't been brought up yet.

Over the years, the perception of sports and competition have dramatically shifted. What used to be viewed as a game has now become big business and tremendous pressure. While Major Leaguers take every liberty to stay competitive and earn the big dollars, a lot of this translates to the little league diamonds too. We've been taught to never accept faliure and to always win....there's no place for second place.

It's certainly not an excuse for cheating or dancing around the rules. Steroid use, whether it was banned or not in baseball, was illegal during the times in question. However, our culture has shifted to the point where we place tremendous pressures on ourselves to always "one up" the other. My friend and I always discuss this issue as it does seem to be a root of so many problems.

It's ok to be satisfied once in a while. Being the best is great but it may not be worth the sacrifice. It's kind of like selling your soul.