View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM

Default Bond Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I like these a lot (here's mine), but there's no chance it surpasses the Leaf which was a national issue. There's more leaf to satisfy demand and it's a fantastic looking card.
So hobbyists can simply “cherry pick” whatever cards they “choose”’ to be a Rookie card because of aesthetics/popularity? Simply stated, the Jackie “Portrait” Bond Bread card was distributed in June/July 1947 in most of the country’s major baseball cities so it is NOT a Regionsl issue. Since it pre-dates the Leaf Jackie by over a full year, it SHOULD be classified as the true Jackie Robinson Rookie card. Furthermore, there are no rules that state a true Rookie card has to be a Nationally distributed card. How many major cities does it take to be recognized as a significantly distributed issue? The bond bread card spanned New York, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Cleveland, etc. That certainly sounds convincing to me, and it just might make sense that the 1948 Leaf is eventually “bounced” as Jackie’s Rookie card in favor of his ‘47 Bond Bread issue.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 05-09-2018 at 05:51 AM.