View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Default if you started collecting pre war in your 20's (not 1920's)

Posted By: Sean

I can remember going to AJ Hobbies in New Brighton, MN when I was 8 years old and buying penny cards that were from the 50s and 60s...that was about 20 years ago now (makes me 28 now). They actually had a very nice collection of pre war cards, a few Old Judges and T206's, I could hardly believe that cards were made before 1952 Topps.

I did collect my fair share of the 1980's and 1990's stuff, saving my allowance for weeks to buy the 1986 Topps Traded set (I loved Jose Canseco and Barry Bonds) for probably $10, that's like saving for a Matty these days. I still love Harmon Killebrew and will continue to look for his cards, I wrote to him when I was around 10 years old and he sent me a hand written postcard and sent me an autographed baseball card of his (who playing today would do that?).

I bought my first T206 card last year (started collecting the Minneapolis team) and fell back in love again with cards...not the current stuff, but the pre-war cards and thinking about the history of them: who has owned or traded the cards I now own is pretty cool and to think they have changed hands for the past 100 years and they are still around (can't say that for many things I bought 5 years ago).

Like many said, I stopped collecting in 10th grade or so and went to college with no money and came out with less money.

It's interesting to be collecting history.