View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Default The Four Wonders of Weiser

Wanted to revisit the Weiser Wonder Walter Johnson postcards as some recent eBay findings has renewed my interest in these cards. Here are now four versions (two discovered this year) and some theories on each. Feel free to chime in if you disagree with anything or have any other thoughts on the matter... (images borrowed)

Version #1 – 1907 Real-Photo Postcard (photo by local Paul Van Graven of Weiser)

Postmarked September, 1907 in Weiser. High clarity and resolution, created from actual photo negative. Recent eBay discovery, first one known in the hobby and most likely created from Van Graven himself or from someone with access to his negatives.

Version #2 – c1910 Printed-Photo Postcard (Publisher Unknown)

Lithograph version created from ink printing a copy of Van Graven’s 1907 image onto a postcard. Postcard style and multiple known cancellation dates has this as most likely a 1910 issue.

Version #3 – pre-1920 Real-Photo Postcard (Published by Wesley Andrews of Oregon)

Created from a photograph (not negative) of the Johnson image and cropped/resized/borders added to fit standard sized postcard. Andrews' “Waco Real Photo” stamp box (hidden by the stamp) points this to being a pre-1920 creation despite the 1924 Weiser postmark. Another eBay find, and the first one I've ever seen.

Version #4 – c1918 Real-Photo Postcard (Publisher Unknown)

This one is still a mystery to me. The No. 39 (Andrews' unique numbering system) and typing on front suggests it was created from the Andrews postcard above but not by Andrews himself (no Wesley Andrews, Inc. Publishing credit on reverse). Also supporting the theory that it's a period copy of the Andrews PC is that it has noticeably poorer contrast and clarity. However, the cropping of the photo in the two postcards is slightly different. The earliest postmark seen so far for this one has it dating to most likely 1918, which also fits the style of the postcard.