View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Default Congratulations to Red Sox Empire

Posted By: Steve

Ryan, sarcasstic but a thought provoking post nonetheless.

This morning my wife wanted to know if I want her to pick up the new "Sox Champs '07" cap at the mall this afternoon. "Nah, I have my Sox cap from '04".

Sure, this is a great time for Boston's young. Theo and the front office built an even better team and are a clockwork organization. Regardless, for those of us born in the 50's and earlier, I believe we're really not comfortable with this. My first Fenway game was in '67, mosochism began at 9 1/2 years old. Sucked in every summer thereafter, come late September/October we cried in secret, a lot.

Many of us reached our perpetual peace three years ago. Finally no more tears. And why the Hell not?, we've paid our dues. Last night, guilt -I don't deserve two World Series in my lifetime! Why am I still alive even?

Nowadays, it's simply the aura of that Kenmore Sanitarium by the Mass Pike that stirs my emotions anymore. I would pay the same for a ticket to sit in the CF bleachers on an Off-Day.

The true, seasoned Bosox fans don't buy the NY Hater, Red Sox Nation, Yankees Suck BS (I have more old Yanks than Sox items). This arrogant mentality is perpetuated NOT by locals but by the many sports outlets run by non-New Englanders and our new generation fell for it -it's TV that Sucks. The quiet majority has been scarred far to long and humility is a permanent part of our DNA.

NY fans, sure your teams of old were impossible hurdles but we were rabidly jealous out of frustration for winning fans everywhere, not just yooz guys. In twisted logic we were simply redirecting disappointment, "It's all your fault for winning". Ya see, you kids never felt our chronic pain, only damn joy.

And you humble older fans from Chitown, you mirror the old Bostonians. I look forward to seeing the Cubbies fans' dance, because you too have overpaid your dues.

Today, I'll be recelebrating '04, not at Fanuel Hall or by a duckboat in the Charles, but in the garage sipping on a Highlife with my old doggie while rebuilding a gummed up Harley carburetor.