View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Default Beginner's Questions about Vintage Card Market

Posted By: Jared

Hello,

I recently decided to collect cards again, this time focusing on pre-1940 cards. I used to collect as a kid, but that was in the 80's/90's, so I really have no experience collecting valuable cards. Therefore I am wondering the smartest way to go about this.

Over the last few weeks I've primarily scoured eBay, looking for t206's, Goudey's, and various 19th-century cards. My intention is to collect a handful of "big name" cards (Cobb, Ruth, Young, Anson, etc.) as long-term investment items. I'm not a stickler for condition, so long as the fronts are clear since I also plan on framing/displaying them in my home.

So before I begin, I'd like to ask a few general questions about the vintage card market:

1) Is there an optimal time of the year to buy? For instance, I tend to assume that baseball cards would probably draw less interest (and thus sell cheaper) during the winter months. Do any general trends like this exist?

2) How do eBay's prices usually compare to local card show prices? After reading a few posts here, I see I'm not the only one with eBay sticker shock in recent weeks. Aside from the recent trend, is eBay usually a better bargain?

3) What are some other good website for buying cards online?

4) What are some of the more reputable card shows that I should look out for in my area? I live in DC, but I know there are some national travelling shows.

Thanks! This looks like a very helpful community, I'm glad I came across it.