View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Yeah, like many of the other posters on this thread, I've given up on set collecting on expensive sets. I collected the 1933 Goudey, and was working on other sets, but it really bothered me that I was spending hundreds of dollars (if not more) on cards for common players that once I purchased, I would put in a box and never look at again. It was crazy money to be spending on cards that I wouldn't be interested in always looking at over time. Therefore, I've moved to collecting player sets of players that I really liked (mainly Ruth and Gehrig now) and one-offs for cards of other players that I've always really wanted (e.g. Brunners Cobb). So I've since sold of my 33 Goudey set, and been doing this type of collecting the last few years, which I've found that I enjoy a lot more. No regrets and wish I had done it sooner. I still do some set collecting on "cheaper" sets. I've basically still have sets from my birth year (1973) through the sets that I collected when I was a kids (through 1987) for nostalgia sake. The 1980s sets are basically worthless, but I still enjoy looking at those cards, which reminds me of when I traded with my friends. Or how after a Little League baseball game, I would save my money to purchase one of the "shiny" Donruss packs after a game. Great memories.