View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfanjohn View Post
Really nice looking 61 cards Broby. If you are getting those off ebay...I apologize as I was probably bidding against you a couple times the past few months. Just got a renewed interest in collecting since about September and have focused on pre-1975 PSA, BVG, or SGC 6-7's of HOF's, minor stars, and Dodgers(willing to go down to 4.5's for pre 1961, and down to 3's for major HOF's cards in the 50's).

1961 just happens to be one of the easier years to find decent shape cards.

I have been able to pick up several cards, including a few at monster discounts...in particular a 61 Reds Heavy Artillery PSA 6.5, well centered and a PSA 6.5 Frank howard for basically chump change. Also a really pretty PSA 7 Bob Gibson(not for chump change lol), 7 Curt Flood, and a nice 6 McCovey and 6 Cepeda. The only one that cost over $10 was the Gibson. I did get kinda screwed on a BVG 6 Robin Roberts that has some kind of wierd staining and print marks or mold or something. I dunno how it got a grade of six as the markings really do detract from the card. Oh well, thats what happens when you win with a $2 or $3 bid.

Thanks John, I'm sure you're not the first Net 54 member I've come up against in my travels, no doubt not that last! I recently finished a '56 set and jumped into this one. I'm about 70% done with my set, buying both graded and raw. I have also found it a bit easier to get '61's in nice condition, much eaiser than other cards from the late '50's and early '60's. The card stock they used that year was some real sturdy stuff. One other thing is that wax is easy to remove from these cards so I've been able to get some great deals on cards with stains and remove them with relative ease (speaking of the card front only). Are you going for 100% graded set?

PS - Always liked the heavy artillery card, great title.

Last edited by brob28; 02-04-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: add comments