Thread: April Pickups
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 PM
C@rl P@rk

Default My wife and the 56 Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Carl, what a nice story. Thanks for sharing. Your wife must have good taste to recognize how drop dead gorgeous this Mickey Mantle card is. One of Topps's best of The Commerce Comet. Or, perhaps she saw the serious longing in your eyes as you looked at this card. Whatever, you depict a deep expression of love from the wife of a devoted collector and devoted husband. After all, you BOTH went to Cooperstown. That says something, too.

Thanks again for sharing. ---Brian Powell
Thanks for the nice comments on my card and on my lovely wife, everyone! So, she is truly a keeper...after spending seven hours at the Hall of Fame with me on Friday, watching two full games at Doubleday Field with me, and standing patiently by as I examined all sorts of cards at random shops....she saw the look in my eye when I at long last found the 1956 Mantle the morning of our final day in town...all I had bought was about 100 misc ungraded singles, mostly in vg-ex condition, of HOFers and minor stars. But, oh how I admired that Mick...but we'd spent a lot of cash at the B and B, various nice dinners, and I had my 100 cards...so we went to a bakery on the corner of Main St and Chestnut to have a snack before heading home...she asked, "Carl, is there anything else you want to do before we go?" I said, "no, I'm good...." with an obvious twinge of pining.... To which she said, "I don't want you to have any regrets...I know you want that card...let's go negotiate."

So we went back to the shop, took another look, she said "corners are a little rough, but looks good otherwise" (sitting next to me as I examine my cards every other night seems to have rubbed off)...I offered the dealer a very fair cash price which he accepted. And now the Mick belongs to us. a truly wonderful moment in my collecting life and continuing, 12 year romance with my wife.