Thread: PSA v SGC
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
Looking for some insight as I never personally submitted to SGC; any comments & help appreciated:
You ask about resale. After the $125 membership fee plus shipping both ways (I'd assume that'll get expensive for that many cards) plus $5-8/card grading fee + any taxes and other costs, will you recoup that when it comes time to sell? If its low grade I would think not. Seems you bought the items raw, why not sell raw? If its high grade, then I'd think the PSA registry would make the cards more desirable and you'd make back your money easily but then if these are expensive cards would they quality for the $5/card service?

When it comes time to sell, you can go thru auction houses that'll sometimes send the cards to be graded for you, and a common theory is some AHs get better grades than if a common collector submitted them, so an option is to just wait till it comes time to sell them to get them graded.

400 cards * ~$8 (average after fees) is over $3k that I'd rather spend on more cards than giving to TPGs. You'll be unhappy with a % of those grades and want to send back in for a 2nd look and spend more money etc.
But if you are hooked on getting them graded, then I'd recommend SGC (or BVG if protection is your #1 concern) for low grade and PSA for high grade.