View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
In real life gatherings, people that try to impose their values on someone else usually get put in their place. I find nothing wrong with soaking a card to remove a stain to increase its value and, I think if you conducted a fair poll, many others feel the same way. If that violates your morals, so be it - don't participate in that activity - but don't come on here and tell others that they shouldn't do it.
You and I are in agreement about soaking cards, but I don't see a problem with someone adamantly disagreeing with me about it. The issue to me is the difference in the way people express themselves in real life vs the internet. Flaming and trolling are out in real life, as is word manipulation and parsing. I am still amazed that people use those last two techniques in discussion forums - anyone with half a brain can see through them.

Also, in a discussion forum, the only way to be guaranteed a civil 'real life'-type conversation, is to do it via PM. Any public discussion is subject to almost any type of behavior imaginable. But I guess having a public discussion on the internet, trying to solicit good conversationalists would be akin to standing up in a coffee shop and yelling "excuse me - anyone here want to talk about card soaking? No assholes please."

You get the bad with the good.