View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Default What in the Heck?

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

You are so right. As kids, we thought the astroturf was cool, and those circular stadiums seemed so modern (almost Jetsons-like). I remember marveling at the little triangular patches of dirt around each of the bases at Riverfront (instead of having a full dirt infield). I still remember my Dad praising that there were no posts to get in your way either (Crosley had a few seats directly in back of tall wood posts).

Of course, now all of my fondest memories are of Crosley Field and not Riverfront (or Cinergy, or whatever awful corporate name it was eventually saddled with). It had a huge measuring stick that showed how high the flood waters rose one year. And I'll never forget the Hot Peanuts Vendor out in front for every game.

I was lucky enough to see Hank Aaron get his 3,000th hit there as well... a seeing eye single up the middle. I think he went 4 for 4 on that day, and that was actually his worst at-bat! I guess the older you get, the more you appreciate what is really important! Sorry... this was waaaaay to long!